Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Movie News (Tuesday)


KONG Trailer to Run With WAR OF THE WORLDS
KongIsKing.net is reporting that the first trailer for Peter Jackson's remake of KING KONG will be on the front of Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS, which opens in theaters on June 29th.

News 10 Now reports a Ubisoft Entertainment spokesman at E3 stated, in regards to the upcoming videogame for the movie, "Well, you're going to be able to play both as Kong and as Jack. That's about all I can tell you right now. You know, Universal isn't going to unveil KONG until June 28th when they release their first trailer, and obviously there’s a lot of anticipation for it, so we're going to hold off as well." EDITOR'S NOTE: YOU CAN PLAY AS KING KONG? THIS INVOLVES A LOT OF STRATEGY AND INTELLECTUAL GAME-PLAY, NO DOUBT? (RAMPAGING IS NOT JUST FOR BIG MONKEYS!)

Daredevil transfers to Hawaii Five-O
Looking to reclaim the fame he lost about the same time as he bumped rumps with JLo, EDITOR'S NOTE: TMI!!!! (OH GOLLY, MUST GO RINSE EYES....)Ben Affleck is in talks to star in the big-screen version of TV golden-oldie "Hawaii Five-O". EDITOR'S NOTE: FINALLY, A CASTING DECISION FOR AFFLECK THAT MAKES SOME SENSE. I MEAN, JACK LORD WASN'T EXACTLY THE KING OF BIG EMOTIONAL EXPRESSION EITHER, RIGHT?

Sky News reports that Affleck, currently filming "Truth, Justice and the American Way", would take on the role of Steve McGarrett, made famous in the Sixties and Seventies by Jack Lord.

An insider says, "Ben is ideal as he mixes the serious with comedy. All we have to do now is find him a leading lady."

George Nolfi ["Ocean's Twelve"] is penning the script for the film, believed to be a near-Xerox of the TV series' template, with George Litto (the creator of the original series) playing producer.

The original series fixed on the investigations of Hawaii Five-0, an elite branch of the Hawaii State Police answerable only to the governor and headed by stalwart Steve McGarrett. James MacArthur, Zulu, Al Harrington, Kam Fong and William Smith co-starred.

Warner will release the film next year.

The Simpsons movie is in production
A shock is a live-action "Simpsons" movie flying under the highly-sensitive radar.

Or so says one of the hit show's long-standing (as in she's been on it since day one, not that she's without a chair) stars, Nancy Cartwright.

The girl behind the boy that is Bart Simpson (sure to have any 8-year-old's head in a spin) says "The Simpsons" movie is in the works - right now.

"You know what? We've just done the table read for the 'Simpsons' movie so although we've been promoting that we're going to do it, now we're actually doing it and are in production", she tells the BBC.

Cartwright, who is performing her one-woman show 'My Life as a Ten Year Old Boy' in London, says it'll take a couple of years to make cinemas. "I'm sure it won't take any less than a couple of years. I don't know the name of it and I can't go into details about it and we'll just have to see how it goes, but I think it's going to be great and the fans are going to dig it." EDITOR'S NOTE: DID THEY MEAN 'LIVE ACTION'? NOT ANIMATED? (SURELY NOT....)

Molly Ringwald confirms Sixteen Candles 2
Seems the "Breakfast Club" reunion at Saturday's MTV Movie Awards serves as sort-of a comeback announcement for a certain flame-haired screen queen.

Molly Ringwald, who joined co-stars Anthony Michael Hall, Alley Sheedy and Paul Gleason to accept the Silver Bucket of Excellence Award for their legendary hit, told reporters we can expect to see a sequel to at least one of those great 80's movies soon.

Ringwald told the Mercury News that she's in discussions to make a sequel to "Sixteen Candles," the 1984 movie about the obstacles and embarrassments a teen girl faces on her birthday.

Ringwald, 37, said she had been approached repeatedly about doing a sequel but recently read a script that she liked and wanted to star in the movie. "I've turned it down for years. I couldn't see how it would work," she said Saturday. "Now, it seems right."

It was rumoured a few moons back that a sequel called "32 Candles" was in the works, with Anthony Michael Hall rumoured to be in talks to return as her co-star. No word if it's the same project. Also, no word on whether "The Breakfast Club" will get another belated detention anytime soon, but it was rumoured a few years back that Director John Hughes was keen to do a follow-up. EDITOR'S NOTE: WELL MISS B AND HER CHRONOLOGICAL CRONIES WILL BE SO PLEASED TO HEAR THAT THE 80'S AIN'T QUITE DEAD YET. (NOT THAT THEY WERE EVER REALLY ALIVE).

Men in Black back on duty
According to a scooper for Aint it Cool, sunny-adorned alien busters Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are set to hit the creature-infested streets again for a "Men in Black 3".

Producer Walter Parkes ["The Island"] confirmed that the sequel is in the "planning phase" and that they're coaxing Sirs Jones and Smith back to the ghostbusting business.

In 2003, rumours surfaced that Barry Sonnenfeld, director of the first two "Men in Black" movies, and Producer Parkes, didn't especially enjoying work together on the last sequel - so it'll be interesting to see whether Bazz returns for a third bout.

Johnny Depp to join the Serkis?
The busier-than-a-hooker-on-Valentine's-Day EDITOR'S NOTE: AND YET ANOTHER IMAGE WE DIDN'T NEED.... Johnny Depp is being courted to star in a new film to be helmed by "Lord of the Rings" squat EDITOR'S NOTE: 'SQUAT'? NOT NICE. Andy Serkis.

According to Contact Music, the movie tells the tale of 62-year-old drug addict Stephen Smith. Smith was a chap who was locked in an asylum at 14 and molested by a doctor before becoming addicted to amphetamines. Later, he'd become an apprentice to a master thief - stealing jewels from such notable names as Sophie Loren, and getting entangled with notorious nasties like The Kray twins. EDITOR'S NOTE: SO IT'S A LIGHT-HEARTED COMEDY? EEK.

Smith wants the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star to bring his story to life. "We are speaking to Johnny Depp's agents about him playing the lead role. He is a wild-card actor who takes parts he wants and not for money."

Of director Andy Serkis, making his directorial debut with the film, Smith says : "Andy is the blue-eyed boy of Hollywood and has the clout to get the film distributed across North America. I went for him because he is pedantic about detail. He will capture the authenticity and rawness of my life as a down-and-out." EDITOR'S NOTE: OK. SO WHO SHOULD PLAY ME IN THE MOVIE ABOUT MY (INCREDIBLY FASCINATING) LIFE? I MEAN, SINCE WE GET TO PICK THESE THINGS IT SEEMS.

A film based on Smith's life has been in the works for several years now - originally it was eyed as a potential acting vehicle for Robbie Williams.

Ratner Takes Helm for X-MEN 3
Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment have hired Brett Ratner to direct X-MEN 3.

Ratner will be filling the spot left by Matthew Vaughn when he exited the project last week. He'll be working from the script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg.

The original cast is returning and as previously reported they will be joined by Kelsey Grammer, Vinnie Jones and Maggie Grace, who signed on to play new mutant characters.

Batman vs.Superman match still on the cards
"Batman Begins" producer Charles Roven seems pretty certain that one day the chap with the cowl and the dude in tights will team up.

Naturally, says Roven, "Batman vs.Superman" depends on the success of Batman and Superman's first solo missions.

"It all depends on the success of Batman Begins and Superman Returns", he tells IESB, adding that the current script for "Batman vs Superman" is superb.

"Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, who would no doubt be reprising his role as the Caped Crusader in the two-hander, says there might be a few solo missions before the teaming, but that it should happen.

"Batman vs.Superman" was the movie Warner Bros. were considering doing inititally - before deciding on solo missions for both characters. Wolfgang Peterson was attached to direct at one point, with everyone from Jude Law to Colin Farrell and John Travolta (yep, Zuko in tightsEDITOR'S NOTE: SHUDDER) in the running to play the crimefighters. One of the many problems in getting the film off the ground was getting two actors locked into the pic.

A spokesperson for Christian Bale told us at the time that, "...all rumoured participants have various conditions with regard to casting/money/marketing rights. For example, actor A may choose to do the movie ONLY if actor B is playing opposite him. If B drops out, A has the option to drop out or insist on Actor D, etc. ... Actor C may sign on with a condition that he makes the same dollars as Actor B. If he doesn't get it, he'll walk."

Ultimately, Peterson decided to go off and make "Troy" instead,EDITOR'S NOTE: SO IT'S BATMAN'S FAULT THAT WE GOT "TROY"? and "Batman vs.Superman" was shelved.

In "Batman vs.Superman", the Caped Crusader's girlfriend dies and Superman snags the blame. This leads to a conflict between the two crimefighters, not helped by the appearance of both heroes' long-time enemies.

Russell, Dreyfuss and Rossum to Set Sail on POSEIDON

Russell will play an ex-fireman and politico who is traveling with his daughter (Rossum) and her boyfriend. Richard Dreyfuss will play a gay man,who has just been dumped.

Wolfgang Peterson is directing from a script by Mark Protosevich and Akiva Goldsman.

The film will start production on June 18th.

Lucas boards 'Poseidon' for Warner Bros.
Josh LucasEDITOR'S NOTE: YOU WERE WORRIED ABOUT WHICH LUCAS, HUH? has finally signed on for Warner Bros. Pictures' remake of "The Poseidon Adventure," being directed by Wolfgang Petersen.

Lucas has been flirting with the role of the ship-hopping gambler for some time. Negotiations, which were on and off, broke down late Friday, leaving the part up for grabs. Both sides quickly reconvened over the weekend and sealed the deal.

Like the 1972 original, the story follows the survivors of the S.S. Poseidon, a cruise ship that is capsized by a tidal wave. The survivors, trapped inside, are forced to work their way to the surface of the upside-down ship through the hull. EDITOR'S NOTE: COME ON. EVERYONE SING....'THERE'S GOT TO BE A MORNING AAAAAAFTER.....'

Cage, Smith book trip to 'Time Share'
Nicolas Cage and Will Smith are attached to star in and produce "Time Share," a comedy pitch by Mark Steilen that was picked up by Columbia Pictures.

"Time Share" follows two fathers who lock horns when they discover their families are booked into the same time share on what should have been their dream vacation.

SISCO and SIN's Gugino is Ready to RISE
An insider has reported that SIN CITY and KAREN SISCO's Carla Gugino is in negotiations to join Lucy Liu and Michael Chiklis in Ghost House's upcoming horror thriller RISE.

Gugino will play the femme fatale Eve, member of the Undead cult that Lucy's character is hunting down.

This is an unconfirmed report at this time.


Post a Comment

<< Home